Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Weekend 2010

As we remember the reason for all of our freedoms in the United States, my husband thinks we need to go camping each year for the 3 days weekend. Although I could think of a hundred other things to do this weekend, I do admit I like to see my kids enjoying themselves with cousins & friends. They get to experience the river, fishing, swimming, boat rides, and cooking over campfires. As much as they all enjoy the experience, I hate the preparation, laundry, dirt, and then coming home to unload and clean again. I did have a good time this weekend as we went to Newton, but we had a few extra things to do as well. Friday, the kids and I helped Doug & his friend Dennis set bank poles on the river. Waiting on all of our camping buddies to arrive, we enjoyed the boat ride. Friday night all the guys check for fish on the poles and rebait for more fish. Saturday, the kids and I made a trip to Louisville for lunch. My Grandma Haines had the family reunion. Although we didn't stay long, we took pictures of all the family. It is nice to see everyone and to see how much all the kids have grown & see how yet some "kids" never change HA HA. We did get to pick a bag of cherries from Granny's loaded cherry tree! Then we headed back to Newton to eat a campfire meal & make our first trip to the Newton Drive-in Theatre. Several of us girls and all the kids made the movie - Shrek 4. I LOVED the Drive-in....we will definitely try it again soon (and for sure next year on the camping expo - it was a great escape). Sunday we ate a huge breakfast and headed down to the river sandbar. It was a GREAT time as we played in the sand & "floated" with current. The kids loved it! So last but not least, after a couple of hours of floating we headed back to camp waiting on the Rubsam family for a weenie roast and party. The men bragged about all the fish they caught and all the kids were tired & filthy dirty as the packing up would end the night. As we rolled into the drive way last night, it was a sigh of relief. A nice hot shower & warm bed awaited me - and boy was it nice!!!!!!!!!!!
All in all, I had a pretty good time this weekend, but I can't wait for a weekend at the Drury Inn and a Cardinals game later in the summer (crossing my fingers for that wish!). Now that I am home sweet home I am one happy camper! LOL
Our trip to the Drive-in with 7 kids!

Braden & his cousin Stella cruising around the cabin!
My Dad with his Mom & 3 sisters - any doubt now that I look like the Haines family? LOL

No comments: